09 November 2009

WEC + Delaware

So remember how I grew up in Africa and went to boarding school and had pet monkeys and chamelions and ate snakes? Well a few hours south of NY, near Philiadelphia the mission my parents work with has its US base and a few old friends from Cote d'Ivoire live there. It's like visiting extended family, I got to see (L-R) Lee and Liz, the Mums of fellow boarding schoolers, Aunty Marilyn my 6th grade teacher, plus (not pictured) all three Durben girls and their dad Dan.

We continued south towards Washington DC via the lovely, picturesque Delaware wetlands. A nuclear power plant was the highlight of what our Atlas labelled a scenic drive.


Adventure highlight: we had to ford some rivers, apparently the wetlands weren't aware there was a road there. I thought I saw a log under the water but Justin just yelled "Do it! Do it! Go! Go" So I did, and we survived.


On the banks of the Chesapeake these big lumpy balls smell good like citrus, does anyone know what they are?

2 comments:

  1. Those "lumpy balls" are black walnuts! We had millions and millions on our property when I was growing up. My dad would pay us a penny apiece if we picked them up. If you break through the green shell and work through a good 3/4 inch of black, sticky stuff, there is a walnut inside, and the walnuts taste like peas!

    I am really enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! If only I'd known, we could have had a tasty lunch.

    ReplyDelete